Ask Superintendent Curtis
You can email questions to Superintendent Yvonne Curtis during a live chat with the Forest Grove Leader on Tuesday, May 21. The online conversation begins at noon and is part of the Leader's effort to bring together members of the community with their elected and appointed officials. Details
Turn in Ballots By 8 PM In School Board Election
Ballots are due by 8 p.m. tonight in the election for Forest Grove School Board. Six candidates have filed for three open positions.
- Incumbent John Hayes is unopposed in his bid for election to Position 1. Hayes, who is sustainability director at Pacific University, was appointed to the seat in January 2012.
- Two candidates will contend for Position 2. Charless Waterman was appointed last month to fill the remaining two months of Gil Jimenez's term after his unexpected death. She is opposed by Erin Fivecoat.
- Three candidates have filed for the Position 3 seat being vacated by Alisa Hampton, who is not seeking re-election. They are Jeff Cooper, Sebastian Bannister Lawler and Lonnie Winkler.
CLC Showcase Highlights After-School Program
Parents are invited to the Community Learning Center (CLC) Showcase on May 23 at 5:30 p.m. to learn more about the after-school program at Neil Armstrong Middle School. The end-of-the-year program will feature performances from the CLC dance groups and displays of the various program offerings at Neil Armstrong. There will also be booths with information from community partners.
What Topics Would You Like For Next Year's Parent Academy?
We would like your feedback about Parent Academ
y, the series of parent education classes and workshops that Forest Grove School District started this year. Our goal was to provide useful tools and resources for parents. We would appreciate your taking a minute to answer a short survey that will help us offer topics of interest to you. Click here to take survey
Budget Committee Approves 2013-14 Budget
The Budget Committee on Tuesday approved the Forest Grove School District's proposed $54.1 million budget for 2013-14. The budget, which is up 10 percent from last year, allows for a full instructional year for the first time in six years. The budget also includes $300,000 for a pilot program at Neil Armstrong Middle School to provide iPads for all seventh and eighth graders. Other budget additions include: Adding two elementary teachers with the goal of reducing class sizes for kindergartners and first-graders by one student; funding an elementary school library media technician and $25,000 for library materials, and restorations to counseling at K-4, plus an increase in contracted work days for counselors at the high school. The budget now goes to the School Board for final approval on June 10.
l Proposed Budget
l Budget PowerPoint
l Budget At A Glance
FGHS Golfer Wins State Girls' 6A Title
Congratulations to Forest Grove High School junior Hannah Swanson, the new state 6A girls' golf champion! She scored a 67 in the final round of the tournament, setting a state record for a round of 6A girls golf!
Art Show Features FGHS Alumni
The artwork of 10 Forest Grove High School alumni is showcased in an art show that runs through June 27 at Valley Art, 2022 Main Street in Forest Grove. The gallery is open from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Free Meals Available For Kids This Summer
Youngsters 18 and under in the Forest Grove School District will be able to get free meals this summer when school is not in session. The district is again participating in the Summer Food Service Program, a federally funded program that provides meals for low income youngsters at various sites throughout Forest Grove and Cornelius. The program will run from June 24 to August 22 (Monday through Thursday). There will be no lunches at the schools on July 3 and 4, and no lunches at the parks on July 4.
Meals will be provided at the following addresses and times:
- Bard Park, 2921 22nd Avenue, Forest Grove. Lunch 12-12:30 p.m. from June 24-Aug. 22
- Rose Grove Mobile Park, 3839 Pacific Ave., Forest Grove. Lunch 12-12:30 p.m. from June 24-Aug. 22
- Harleman Park, 795 S. Heather St., Cornelius. Lunch 12-12:30 p.m. from June 24-Aug. 22
- Lincoln Park, 2725 Main St., Forest Grove. Lunch 12-12:30 p.m. from June 24-Aug. 22
- Fern Hill Elementary School, 4445 Heather St., Forest Grove. Breakfast 7:45-8 a.m. and Lunch 11-11:30 a.m. from July 8-Aug. 1
- Neil Armstrong Middle School, 1777 Mountain View Lane, Forest Grove. Breakfast 7:45-8 a.m. and Lunch 11-11:30 a.m. from July 8-Aug. 1
- Joseph Gale Elementary School, 3130 18th Ave., Forest Grove. Breakfast 8-9 a.m. and Lunch 11-11:30 a.m. from June 24-Aug. 1
- Tom McCall East Upper Elementary School, 1341 Pacific Ave., Forest Grove. Breakfast 7:45-8 a.m. and Lunch 11-11:30 a.m. from June 24-July 25
- Centro Cultural, 1110 N. Adair, Cornelius. Lunch 11:30-12 p.m. from July 1-Aug. 1
20 FGHS Seniors Share Valedictorian Honors
Twenty Forest Grove High School seniors will share valedictorian honors at graduation on Saturday, June 8. Congratulations to Peter Lommen, Jessica Steigerwald, Elena Torry-Schrag, Kara Bruckert-Frisk, Paul Schot, Joelle Hepler, Vera Hutchison, Livia Lichtenstein-Hershman, Jessamy Taylor, Franziska Monahan, Mackenzie Backous, Antonio Rojas-Ramirez, Claire Nadauld, Colleen McNeely, Luke Berdahl, Alicia Vasquez, Molly Johnson, Levi Egg, Abby Vanderzanden and Drake Morgan. Congratulations also to salutatorian Laura Shonk.