Forest Grove School District Strategic Plan
The Forest Grove School District’s strategic plan will provide the direction for our instruction, curriculum, budgeting, staffing and partnerships for the next five years. This is our roadmap to a future in which we expect to transform the way that teachers teach and students learn in our district.
While our “Job 1” continues to be preparing students well for college and career, we know that involves much more than success on state tests and college entrance exams. We believe a high-quality, well-rounded educational experience is rigorous, culturally relevant, engaging and healthful. It incorporates new technology and new approaches to instruction and learning.
In addition to inspiring academic excellence, it nurtures the whole child, with opportunities for music and world languages and hands-on learning. It requires high quality, effective teachers who are supported by high quality, effective administrators and support staff. It builds on strong relationships and shared responsibility with students, family and community.
It aims high because we are preparing students for success in a world in which many of the jobs they will be holding haven’t yet been created.
This is a plan that not only details our focus for the next five years, but also holds us accountable for making sure we provide our students with the skills, inspiration and challenge they need for success in college, career and citizenship.
What We Do
Inspire excellence while preparing all students for college, career and citizenship
Where We Are Going
What We Want to AccomplishGoals
· By 2017, all students will attain all steps/learning targets on the District Pathway, as measured by the 8 Steps To College And Career Readiness
· We will develop and implement a plan for technology integration for all students, application-based learning opportunities, and Science-Technology-Engineering-Applied Arts-Math (STEAM) education in all schools
· We will provide a system for effective educator development that leads to transformational learning
· We will inform, engage and educate stakeholders about the District Pathway and STEAM
· We will create a resilient organization that can weather and adapt to change and stay focused on the district's mission
How We Will Achieve Our Goals
· Update the District Pathway
· Monitor progress made on the 8 Steps To College And Career Readiness and learning targets, and adjust curriculum, instruction and interventions as necessary
· Implement best instructional practices using Data Teams and Professional Learning Communities
· Transition to Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Assessments, with full implementation by September 2014
· Implement the District Instructional Framework (DIF)
· Implement Quadrant D learning in all classrooms (based on Bloom's Taxonomy)
· Develop strategies to increase student engagement
· Implement project-based learning activities that integrate appropriate technology tools
· Develop and implement STEAM education in all schools
· Develop and implement a plan for technology integration for all students
· Provide necessary tools and training for staff and students to utilize technology to accomplish required tasks effectively
· Ensure that 100% of teachers are following the district's instructional framework by 2017
· Ensure that all staff are culturally competent as measured on a rubric
· Implement a system of staff rewards and recognition
· Use effective tools to communicate about the District Pathway and STEAM
· Use volunteers to support District Pathway learning targets and STEAM
· Equip parents with knowledge and skills to help their children meet targets on the District Pathway
· Develop and sustain community partnerships that support STEAM education
· Develop and implement a system to continually monitor and adjust the strategic plan
· Advocate for adequate and stable school funding
How We Will Check Our Progress
Monitor and Adjust
· Assess and score each action item quarterly and make adjustments as needed
· Provide quarterly reports to the School Board regarding progress toward our goals
· Develop new strategies annually to further develop strategic plan objectives